When you’re looking to operate your electrical systems with complete safety and 100% performance, you’re certainly looking for a transformer. But, do you know that various types of transformers fulfill various types of goals? For instance, when you need to increase or decrease the voltage, you need a power transformer; when you need to break a circuit to avoid passing of direct current noise, you need an isolation transformer; when you need to minimize stray coupling effects for high frequency applications, you need an air core transformer. But, the most efficient and compact transformer out of the entire lot that also offers increased design flexibility is the toroidal transformer, which uses a ring-shaped magnetic core around which wires are wound. They are very popularly used across industries in important applications like power distribution, telecommunication, aerospace, current management, biomedical instrumentation, LED lighting, and industrial control systems. And, the demand for toroidal transformers is only increasing with the passage of time. Let’s find out why.
Benefits attained out of toroidal transformers
Toroidal transformers have a metallic doughnut-shaped core, made of iron powder or ferromagnetic materials, with primary and secondary magnetically coupled coils wound around it. The transformers work on the principle of electromagnetic induction, which the current flowing through the primary winding to induce an electromotive force, followed by the flow of current in the secondary winding. The cross-section of such transformers is mostly a symmetrical circle, which helps reduce magnetic flux.
- Because of this unique design of toroidal transformers, they are lightweight and easy to handle.
- The design and winding pattern also result in reduced number of coils, which decreases the electromagnetic interference and resistive losses.
- The doughnut-shaped core facilitates almost 100% utilization with minimal energy dissipation.
- These transformers are resistant to external EMI as the windings on the core are absolutely compact without any gaps in between.
- The short windings reduce the humming sound, making the transformers less noisy.
- The design improves the overall efficiency and electrical performance with the short windings acting like a shield.
- The energy required to maintain the magnetic field is quite less, making them absolutely cost-effective.
Unique characteristic that make toroidal transformers popular
Apart from the above-mentioned benefits that can be achieved while using toroidal transformers, one very important characteristic that makes toroidal transformer unique and very popular is its design. The doughnut shaped core around which the wires are wound makes the transformer absolutely compact, making it suitable for usage in cramped up spaces. This one property has made toroidal transformer highly popular, thanks to the minimized designs for compact applications being in demand today.
When you’re looking to choose such popular and efficient transformers for your application, you need to partner with reliable toroidal transformer manufacturers in India to have them made. Miracle Electronics is just the place where you have the choice to purchase from off-the-shelf varieties, or have your own special toroidal transformers customized to suit your requirements and preferences, so that there are no compatibility issues with your equipment.