Aerospace grade cables, as the name suggests, are used for connecting various aerospace components for the transfer of power, data, and signals. But, the usage doesn’t end here! These cables are used to support many critical applications in several other industries too; some of them being military ground equipment, airborne communication and navigation systems, submersible and marine systems, satellites and space shuttles, avionics systems, EMI sensitive equipment, and field communication equipment. This is possible because aerospace grade cables are designed to withstand demanding application conditions; hence, applications that require cables to be of a certain standard can use these cables. This means that these cables can be used in extreme conditions of heat, cold, moisture, vibration, and pressure, without losing their capabilities and functionalities; thanks to the durable materials used to manufacture them.
Benefits of using aerospace grade cables
- Durability – Durable materials are used to manufacture aerospace grade cables, which increases their resilience to unfavourable factors. These generally consist of fiber optic cables which are extremely tough in nature, making it preferable for usage in applications where there is extreme high possibility of wear and tear.
- Reliability – One failure in critical applications of military and aerospace means the entire crew and mission at risk, which is why it is crucial that these systems operate with an exceptional degree of reliability. Aerospace grade cables meet stringent quality control specifications, thus ensuring high amounts of reliability in performance.
- Extremities – Whether in air, under water, in the deserts, or on the ice peaks, every military equipment will encounter all sorts of temperatures, climates, and pressures. Every system should be able to survive all such conditions, whether at high altitudes, under the ground, or in outer space. Aerospace grade cables are thus the perfect solutions here.
Testing of aerospace grade cables
Because aerospace grade cables are used in critical applications, they are not only manufactured with extreme attention to detail, but are also rigorously tested for quality and performance.
- Mechanical tests – These tests include needle abrasion test, cold bend test, wrinkle test, wrap test, notch propagation test, dynamic cut through test, and a lot more that can test how the cable will react when it encounters mechanical stresses.
- Electrical tests – These tests include dielectric constant, impulse dielectric, insulation resistance, spark test, surface resistance, voltage withstand, and more to evaluate the electrical performance of the wire insulation, and the wire’s capability to perform electrical energy transfer.
- Environmental assessment – These assessments include fluid immersion, forced hydrolysis, humidity resistance, weathering resistance, wicking, flammability, thermal shock resistance, flame resistance, and a lot more that can determine the performance and longevity of the cable that’ll be exposed to a variety of environmental conditions.
- Manufacturing quality assessment – These assessments include concentricity and wall thickness, insulation bonding, insulation shrinkage/expansion, solderability, thermal/mechanical resistance, solder pot test, and much more that’ll check the final product quality and workability.
Where to get your aerospace grade cables manufactured?
You should opt for aerospace cable assemblies if your application environment or operation is demanding in nature, and where standard cable assemblies won’t be able to handle the stress. But, developing solutions to such specific application complexities requires an experienced manufacturer that understands the available materials, options, and technologies, and how they can be used to optimize performance and quality. Miracle Electronics tops the list of such reliable aircraft cable assembly manufacturers in India, which can be easily proven by the fact that every cable assembly manufactured here is certified and approved by DGAQA and MSQAA for platform specific applications, with the production processes being certified for quality to ISO 9001 and AS9100C.