Different electrical transformers are made to serve different purposes. While they are all different in design, they generally employ the same basic principle of transferring electrical signals from one point to another within a circuit. One of the most popular types of transformers used in both commercial and residential applications is the power transformer. We will learn all about power transformers in India here in this blog.
Power transformers can operate to both increase or decrease the voltage applied to the primary winding. The transformer that increases the voltage of the secondary winding with respect to the primary winding is known as step up transformer, while the one that decreases the voltage is known as step down transformer. As per Faraday’s law of electromagnetic induction, the rate of change of flux is directly proportional to the induced EMF of the coil or conductor. When an alternate current is applied to the coil, there will be an alternating flux surrounding the coil. If another coil is brought near the first one, then there will be an alternating flux linkage with the second coil. As the flux alternates, there is a rate of change in flux linkage, which will naturally induce EMF in the secondary coil.
High overload performances – By means of a forced air system, it is possible to increase the power in continuous operation.
High reliability – The high technology employed in the manufacturing process of the transformers’ windings gives them a high level of reliability.
Low operation costs – The low losses in the magnetic core and windings reduce the costs of operation.
Maximum safety – Without the need of dielectric, cooling is carried out exclusively by means of air.
Power transformers can be of various types – laminated core, autotransformer, single phase, polyphase, step up, step down, toroidal, stray field, resonant, ferrite core, planar, grounding, oil cooled, cast resin, isolating, and many others.
Different types of power transformers are used in different applications. For example –
- Step up and step down transformers are used in the power grid system to increase and decrease voltages respectively, right from the electrical grid to the utility poles.
- Single phase and polyphase transformers are used in various commercial and residential applications like televisions, lighting, heating equipment, home inverters, and low voltage electronic devices.
- Autotransformers are used in electrical apparatus, induction motors, and boosters in AC feeders.
- Toroidal transformers are used in capacitors, current switches, disconnectors, and other related power devices.
- Isolation transformers are used in medical equipment as they are the best transformers for zero electromagnetic noise and leakage.
While the above mentioned are only some of the most popular applications of power transformers, there is a lot more than you can do with these amazing devices. For any sort of commercial and residential requirement, you can get the best power transformers in Germany at Miracle Electronics, where the RoHS and REACH compliant transformers available are designed to provide the highest level of safety to the operator.