While manufacturing a product is a crucial process, even more important is that it is tested for effectiveness and proper functioning. Similarly, when a cable assembly is manufactured, it is important that these assemblies are also tested by cable assembly manufacturers in India to ensure that they meet their standards. There are various kinds of tests performed on cable assemblies to ensure their performance and efficacy. These include –
As the name itself suggests, cable assemblies are examined visually to check for dimensional compliance to the specifications they were built to. Also, any kinds of faults or defects present like deformation or blistering of the outer covering of the cable or connector is checked. This kind of visual testing can assess workmanship, appropriate material usage, design, construction, correct finishes, and proper markings.
Cable assemblies must undergo complete electrical tests to check for any incorrect wiring, opens, or shorts. For this, the connector at each end of the assembly is attached to a mating connector, which in turn is attached to a fixture that will check for any faults. This connector can look for any kind of opens in the assembly, shorts between the conductors, shorts between conductors and shields, and improper placements of the components.
Cable assemblies are always put to encounter various kinds of environments, even harsh ones. Thus, it is very crucial to ensure that the assemblies are capable of withstanding the environment they are to be used in. these could include low/high temperatures, humidity, vibration, shock, and corrosion. Let us see how each aspect can be tested.
- Low/high temperature – The assembly is subject to a decreased/increased temperature to see the impact that it can have on the electrical and mechanical attributes of the connectors or cables.
- Humidity – The assembly is exposed to excessive humidity to check for the impact it has on the connectors, cables, and termination points.
- Vibration – The assembly is subject to repeated/constant vibration to check for the impact on the connectors and terminations.
- Shock – The assembly is subject to fluctuating temperatures to check for the effect of the process on the cables, connectors, and termination points.
- Corrosion – The assembly is exposed to various kinds of climates that may corrode it, to estimate the service life of the assembly. It is also exposed to fog or salt sprays to check for its resistance against corrosion.
The connectors of a cable assembly are mated and unmated to check for the force required to engage and disengage the assembly. Also, the assembly is subject to repeated flexing at a set angle for a set number of repetitions to determine its life expectancy.
There are many other tests that can be performed on cable assemblies apart from the visual, electrical, and mechanical tests mentioned above. Different cable assembly manufacturers in India have their own particular and unique test schedules to execute. For example, Miracle Electronics tests its cable assemblies for dimension, weight, continuity, environment tests, megger tests, hipot tests, and pull tests. With all these tests, the products are approved to be of standard quality, which is why their quality is certified and approved by DGAQA and MSQAA for platform specific applications.